Sunday, December 22, 2013

To Read or Not To Read

One of my last year's resolutions was to read more in 2013. I have both succeeded and failed. I read more than I did the previous year, yet I failed to reach my goal of 50 books. Reading one book a week is a reasonable goal for me. I have been known to devour several tomes a week. If left alone, I can spend the whole day reading.

My parents have told me I learned to read before I entered school. I have trouble remembering the early years. It is a blur of swings, recess, and The Billy Goats Gruff. Thus, I have to trust their memories are accurate. Since learning to read, it has become one of my favorite ways to pass the time. Summers were spent at the library losing myself in different worlds. The love I have for the written word is no secret. I have boxes upon boxes of books and many electronic files on my computer and smartphone.

The first book I read in 2013 was Cold Days by Jim Butcher. Harry Dresden is a character I adore and I can't think of a better book to start off my new year. I read the first book of Dresden Files series after hearing many friends rave about them. They were right. Butcher is a talented story teller and I read every book in the series with gusto. In 2014, I want to read his Codex Alera series.

As for the last book I read in 2013, it is likely to be Killing Kennedy by Bill O'Reily. I enjoyed reading Killing Lincoln earlier in the year. The story is unfolding as I thought it would. But I was surprised by one thing, how close The United States was to nuclear war. I knew about the Cuban Missile Crisis before reading the book. I just didn't realize the gravity of the situation.

The books in between the two. are an eclectic mix of fiction and non-fiction. Some were good, some were bad. I read "new to me" authors and old friends, like Neil Gaiman. (disclaimer, I do not personally know Neil. I have read all his books and his work is familiar to me) My reading tastes are varied. I read YA, urban fantasy, literary fiction, woman's fiction, non-fiction, ect. This is reflected in the books I read during the year.

Next year I want to read 50 books as well as write a couple of my own. A writer reads. Said simply, but nonetheless true.

No comments:

Post a Comment