Sunday, December 29, 2013

New Year, New Beginnings

My cousin gave me a beautiful day planner for Yule. I have yet to write in it. The pages are pristine and hold the promise of things to come. Defacing them with my goals and lists feels almost sacrilege. I know if I submit them to paper and ink they become real. The thought causes my palms to sweat and my heart to beat faster.

The coming year stretches before me much like the empty pages of the planner. Free from the constraints of a steady job and monetary obligations, I have time to pursue my dream. I've wanted to be a writer since I was old enough to form sentences and tell stories. I can't remember wanting to do anything else with such passion. The time has come to move forward or give up.

Fear has held me back for many years while others have prevailed. It is the main stumbling block in my literary journey. Part of me wonders if I want it badly enough. The reasoning is, if you want something with enough vigor you will not give up until it is within your grasp. I am determined to conquer my fears and succeed.

Today I will write in the planner. With the new year just two days away, I shall declare my goal for the coming year. I will finish my second draft. I will write a query letter. I will write the first draft of the second book. Fail or succeed, 2014 will be the year I finally try.

No comments:

Post a Comment