Friday, December 6, 2013

Strengths Vs. Weaknesses

In order to be more productive in the coming year, I signed up for a writing challenge. Staying focused and finishing projects have been a problem for me in the past. (this is one reason why I have five or six unfinished novels on my hard drive) Life would often rear its ugly head and get in the way of my writing progress. The coming year shall be different. I am making writing one of my priorities. This explains my eagerness to join a community focused on completing writing goals.

One of the sign up questions stumped me. "Strengths?" The following one, "Weaknesses?", was easy to answer. I sometimes forget to add needed description to my stories. Settings also trip me up. It is as if I just threw my characters in a room and recorded their conversations. Follow through is also a problem for me. I have completed two novels, but have yet to finish a second draft. I loath editing. Did I mention the five or six other half finished projects I have?

Yes, I am well aware of my weaknesses as a writer. They beat me over the head. But when I was asked about my strengths, I drew a complete blank. Being the insecure person I am, I doubted any existed. To remedy the problem, I started calling, messaging, and texting friends who might have read my writing. (I know this is terrible, but I was desperate and needed something to fill the blank on the sign up) The first friend hadn't read anything of mine in such a long time, she couldn't help me. The next one hadn't read any of my prose. I think his writing is elegant and more refined than my own, so I refrained from sharing. My third try insisted I had strengths, everyone does, but when put on the spot couldn't name one. (to be fair she was busy and just answering the phone was a big deal) In the end, I put "plotting" as a strength.

My cousin, my best friend, my conspirator in writing, came through after the sign up was posted. Her response to my query was, "You are imaginative and good at descriptions."I love my cousin. I AM imaginative. If I wasn't, then I wouldn't be making up stories in my head now would I? On the subject of descriptions, I do not think I am strong. Cliches seem to creep into my pieces. I used to spend time at work describing things such as clouds to practice my description techniques. Unique descriptions are tough to create. It is easy to fall back on old standards.

Writers all have things which come naturally to them and others which take hard work and practice to hone. No two writers are the same. It is important to embrace your strengths and your weaknesses equally. They are what makes you distinct. Polish what comes naturally and practice what doesn't. Pretty prose isn't vomited on the page. It is often the result of much thought and elbow grease.




No comments:

Post a Comment