Saturday, February 13, 2010

Breaking the Mold

In most romance novels I've read, the romantic hero is cast in a certain mold. He is dashingly handsome yet a bit of a prick. Stereotypically, they tend to be well off, alpha males. I'm breaking the "rules" with the Cupid Project. My main character is a male who works at a fast food restaurant. He is handsome, in a geeky, nerd kind of way, but he isn't a prick and he isn't exactly an alpha. Will this work? Will he be believable and likable? Will the readers (if there ever are readers) want him to "get the girl"?

Even though my romantic lead isn't typical, I adore him.

What I like most about this project, is the fact I'm doing it more for me than marketability. I'm writing it for me. The idea came from a short story I wrote using Box'O'Doom prompts. (patent pending) I found the story when I was switching things to my new laptop and I loved it. I'm taking the characters and switching them up a bit and writing a romance novel. (well a book that will have love and stuff in it)

I realize the irony and it amuses me.

No comments:

Post a Comment