Sunday, March 9, 2014

Rituals

After many hours spent writing and staring at a blank computer screen, I discovered I work better with an ink pen held in my mouth. Picture a dog carrying a bone between its jaws, that is how I look when I'm hard at work creating other worlds. I don't know when this ritual began, but I have come to rely on it. I think it might have become a signal to my subconscious it is time to stop fooling around and get to business.

Writers work differently. Some listen to music when they are writing, others do better in a quiet environment. Music helps me block out the outside world and concentrate on my story. Before I begin a new project, I create a playlist with songs related to my subject matter. I include a variety and lean toward songs I know rather than newer ones. This helps the music stays in the background rather than becoming the focus.

I envy writers who have created special spaces in which to practice their craft. I don't have the luxury of space to do so. My cousin bought an armoire she converted to a writing nook. During November, I spent the month on my daughter's love seat, turning it into my writing space. These days I work where ever I happen to be. A Facebook friend posted about Amtrack's residency for writers program and I wish I had the courage to apply. I've always wanted to ride the rails and write. It is on my list of things to do before I die.

Regardless of how and where you write, the most important thing to remember is to write. The words won't write themselves and putting your bottom in the chair is crucial to getting your story told.

No comments:

Post a Comment